Summer has started, fun of exercise may remain same if you follow some tips. We should be careful in choosing exercises, place and time of exercises, otherwise exercising in summer may effect your health. We have to be more careful for Corona & post Corona patients, because they need to give more emphasis on breathing capacities.
1. Stay hydrated – the first and foremost point is to be hydrated always. If you are on exercise have proficient amount of water. Exercising in hot weather increases our body temperature. Our body’s natural cooling system can start to fail if we’re exposed to soaring temperatures for too long. The result may be heat exhaustion – that awful fatigue that makes you feel as if one more step could be your last. You may even suffer heat stroke. Drink water before your exercise (not too much), and have little water during exercise, and have lots of water once you finished exercise, but only after gap of 15 minutes.
2. Don’t over hydrated – drinking too much of water can lead to hyponatremia (low blood sodium). You will have to understand that how much you are exerting and how much can be the water demand of your body. If you are exercising more, fluid intake will be more, if you are on light schedule of exercise then don’t take too much of fluid.
3. Clothing – choose light colored and light weight and loose fitting clothing. Light color will not absorb heat, light weight clothing will not make you feel heavy and you will be comfortable with proper fitting clothes.
4. Choose exercise – choosing proper exercise is important, don’t try to do excessive exercises. Proper assessment before prepairing exercise chart is vital.
5. Time of exercise – avoid exercise when Sun is strong.
6. When to stop – if you are unable to understand the exercise dosage then see some symptoms when to stop your exercises –
b. Dizziness/Paling of skin
d. Muscle cramps
e. Nausea and vomiting
f. Increase in heartbeat
7. Heat Stroke – heat stroke is most dangerous fear during summer time. You have to be careful always about that. Symptoms of heat stroke –
High body temperature (103 – 104 F or higher)
Absent of sweat with hot, flushed and red dry skin
Difficulty in breathing
8. Exercises in the time of CORONA - When you opt for exercises in summer time you need to careful about the environment, but in this time of corona era you are suppose to be more careful regarding selection of exercises. Here I am summarising some exercises which will be beneficial for corona & post corona patients.
Thorax mobility exercises
Marjari Asana (Cat pose)
Hastapadasana or Ardhauttanasana (Standing forward bend – Hand to knee/toe)
Trikonasana (Triangle pose)
Ardha Matsyendrasana or Vakrasana (Half spinal twist)
Paschimottanasana (Seated forward bend)
Shishuasana (Child’s pose)
Bhujangasana (Cobra pose)
Dhanurasana (Bow Pose)
Adhomukhswanasana (Downward dog pose)
Makarasana (Crocodile pose)
Setubandhasana (Bridge pose)
Matyasana (Fish Pose)
Natarajasana (Supine spinal twist)
Why to practice Yoga during Corona?
Yoga is a holistic approach to promote health and mental peace. It promote flexibility of body as well as strengthen the muscles, in general it increase the baseline immunity of a person which is very much required for Corona patients. The natural defence mechanism of the body is also improved due to Yoga.
Exercise dosage: Don't over do the exercises listed above, just pick any 3 yoga marked in red initially. Gradually increase the number of exercise if you don't have any breathing difficulties. Exercises marked in blue should practiced daily.